26 April 2013

Widgets

DIY Pull-string Number Pinata


Isha's 1st Birthday Party - Planning and Preps
Pink and Gold Sparkle


Creating the DIY Pull-string Number Pinata
I wanted to have a pinata for my little girl's party but the cost of a ready made in stores are so expensive. I saw one which costs SGD$45. It was the traditional round and colorful design. After I made one myself from used boxes, I only spent S$6 and I have the design and color that I wanted.

 Of course I cannot do it without the help of Pinterest. I've read many posts showing on how to make one. So if you want a different design aside from numbers, you can search in Pinterest. Here's how I made mine.



 1. I looked for used boxes in our storage room and found 2 clothes boxes. Those were gifts from our friends when Isha was born. I also found 1 big cereal box from the kitchen.

2. I unfolded the box detaching each corner and laying them flat on the table.

3. I sketched the Number 1 (Isha's age on her party) in one of the flattened boxes and cut it out. I traced the cut out number to the other box and also cut it out. Now I have two Number 1. 

4. I then used the 3rd flattened box to make the sides. I cut about 2.5 inches strips and started connecting the two Number 1s with a masking tape. 


 

5. When my number is finished, I glued strips of newspaper (paper mache) to it to make it sturdy enough to hold small toys and candies. I set it aside for a day to dry.

 
6. Once dry, I pinched two holes on the top most sides and inserted a small string.  This will be used to hang the pinata later.

7. I decorated the pinata by sticking alternate colors of fringed crepe papers.


 8. I made a small square opening/flap at the bottom where I will put the candies and small toys.  I also attached ribbons at the flap  for kids to pull at the party.  After I put the candies, I will just have to seal it with clear tape and it's ready for pulling. 


It's done. Easy and simple. It only costs me $6 for the crepe paper and other craft materials.


===========================================

Update: Here's the pinata at the party.  We can't find a hook to hang it so one tall guest just hold it high standing on a chair.  It worked and it's fun fun fun for the kids scrambling on the floor for goodies...




No comments:

Post a Comment