05 July 2014

Widgets

HAUL : German Market Place - The Hunt for Speculoos Spread


The Traders Joe Speculoos Spread keeps popping on my wall in Facebook. I know what it is but I am not so interested trying it out at the moment. The rave became so intense within my friends who was in Manila and those who have visited the US. I thought to myself, "maybe it is really that good". I have to get my hands on one or two. I searched online on where I can buy it in Singapore but the next best thing I found was the Lotus brand.  It is selling for S$10.50 at the German Market Place in Bukit Timah. Just today we went there to check out the store. 


There are 3 things on my list that I am sure I will buy from the store. 
1. The Speculoos Spread
2. Kinder surprise eggs (baby Isha's fave)
3. Stroop waffles.




A month ago, those Kinder surprise eggs were out of stock in Fairprice and 7-11. My baby loves watching the opening of these eggs in YouTube and mostly the eggs that we are seeing in the videos has the word "Überraschung" in the foil wrapper. It means "Surprise" in German so I was hoping that we will find it in the store.
And I was right... Yippee! We found lots of them.

 

Here are some snaps of what we've found in the store ... 

Olives... this is the first item my hubby picked from the shelves.
 He said he will cook pasta the next day... hehehe..
 I am sure olives in bottles like this are also available in ColdStorage or Fairprice 
but I let him get this one. He is always as excited as me when shopping in a new store.

The Speculoos Spread has another variant... the Crunchy one.
If I am not mistaken, there is also a Chocolate variant of this.
Because of the overwhelming demand for this cookie butter,
 customers are only allowed to buy max 2 bottles per visit.


Ovaltine? errr... Ovomaltine... Is this a spread made from  Ovaltine? 
I am not really sure. I'm yet to find out after tasting it. 

 

I did a little research.

"Ovomaltine is known by the name Ovaltine in English, but it is not exactly the same thing. Both are powders which are dissolved in cold or warm milk, stirred and drunk. For the English and American market, however, the powder contains more sugar in the form of sucrose than the original, Swiss formula. The original formula contains barley malt, milk powder, cocoa powder, whey protein, glucose syrup (known as corn syrup in the US), egg, yeast and honey and can only be purchased in Switzerland. The egg and malt give Ovomaltine its name."

So it is confirmed,  it is an Ovaltine bread spread.

 
Ofcourse, I need to check out the coffee and tea section... (coffee lover eh!)



Some sauce powder mixes for pasta and other dishes.....



Ready to mix salad dressing... 



Curry ketchup? Interesting.... 





They have a lot more products like beers, sausages, cheeses and pastry mixes. My only problem was I cannot understand the cooking directions as it is written in German.. hehehe... I wanted to try one chocolate tart mix but I gave up when I cannot find an English translation. When you visit the place you better buy everything that interest you especially when you live far.  We are staying very far from this place and our travel will take about 45-60 minutes by train/bus. The best thing is to call them up first to check if the product that you wanted to buy is in stock. I overheard one lady looking for some item but she wasn't able to get it and the new shipment will only come at the end of this month. 


~ Me and hubby's HAUL ~

I can't help it, I opened the Speculoos spread as soon as I got home and tasted it straight from the bottle. It was delicious and addicting even without the bread. 

Stroop waffles on the second pic below. I haven't included the pic of the Kinder eggs here but it is safely hidden inside the fridge. If my baby sees it, she will ask me to open all of it at once. It's a NO NO rule for us, we are giving her only one per day, but not everyday. Only when I need to bribe her with the egg so that she will finish her food or put on her dress after a shower... hehehe.. We don't really let her eat the whole chocolate shell. She only gets a few bite plus the surprise toy inside.




When you say German food, the first thing that comes to my mind is sausage plus beer. The visit to this store was like an adventure for a foodie like me who wanted to get to know the German cuisine/products more. I'm happy I bought everything I wanted and a lot more.



German Market Place
609 Bukit Timah Road 
Singapore 269710 
Nearest MRT: Botanic Gardens (Circle Line)

Phone number  6466 4044 


Opening Hours :
Mon - Fri  10AM - 7PM
Sat   9AM - 5.30PM
Sun & PH  CLOSED 

Happy Shopping!

- VodkaRouge


 

No comments:

Post a Comment