23 January 2016

Widgets

Home Makeover Part 2 - Kitchen


The Kitchen and the 2 Toilets are the areas that will be having a total overhaul so I'm starting my Home Makeover journey from the Kitchen. Most of this series will be a photoblog rather than texts. I am pretty sure that you want to see more pics with a little bit of description on each image.

Jan 23- Our contractor, Mr. KJ, took us to Taugres for the selection of tiles. The current tiles of the kitchen are still in good condition but it is in color blue. It is such a waste but I have to let it go. I opted for a plain white walls without tiles (saves us a few hundred dollars). Yes it might collect grease and grime over time but we will see how bad it will be. I might just have to repaint the walls (DIY) in the future if that happens. Only if that happens.





Jan 25 onwards - I was disappointed when the hacking of the kitchen entrance wall was not approved by HDB. I want to remove the door portion of the kitchen to make it an "open-concept". That vision was down the drain. Our house was built with pre-fabricated concrete so no part of it can be altered. My breakfast counter was not materialized. Moving on. 

Start of hacking.



Debris was removed from the kitchen.

Skimming works 


 


Feb 22 - Kitchen appliances and fittings were delivered.

 
 


Feb 29 - The new lights were installed and the painting works started.


March 7 - Installation of the kitchen cabinets, hood and dish drainer.

 
 
March 12 -  Almost done. Installation of Quartz worktop, gas hob, sink, 
delivery of fridge, etc..






 BEFORE AND AFTER LOOK



I added a little table opposite the kitchen counter top where I can enjoy my coffee..


Challenge:
I find it a bit hard to visualize the outcome of the kitchen without a 3D design. I just trusted my instincts on what laminate to choose and how the layout will be. Our contractor presented me a sketch on paper. I think it is sufficient to help me design it in a way that will fit on how we use our kitchen. The design and theme is very basic anyway. We wanted both the fridge and the tall cabinet to be in one side (cost cutting.. hahaha..) so we have to compromise on the work top area. The sink is also fixed across the room to give us a little more space to put the blender, rice cooker and other appliances.  Behind the sink is the washing machine and laundry area. I will be putting a small table on the other side of the room for more work space.

*Note: When you are choosing a laminate for the cabinets, make sure that you view the larger sample piece. When I was choosing the laminate from the book of samples, I chose a plain simple design. When it was fabricated on the cabinets, it showed a larger pattern and deeper brownish color. Do not trust the photos too because the lighting affects the look of the laminate big time. If you look at the pics above, the laminate on the cabinet looks like it has a deep line but in reality it looks flat and plain.


This is the initial laminate on the cabinet which we later changed to a plain design.

I am thankful that our contractor was more than willing to change the laminate exactly how I wanted my kitchen to be. Again, do not trust the sample book completely. After you choose, ask your contractor/ID to show you the bigger piece just to make sure you pick the right one.


**All images were taken using a smart phone.



You might also want to read:

Home Makeover Part 1 - Mood Board and Before Photos
Home Makeover Part 2 - Kitchen
Home Makeover Part 3 - Toilet and Bathroom
Home Makeover Part 4 - Living, Dining Room and Recess Area
Home Makeover Part 5 - Bedrooms


You might also want to read:

Home Makeover Part 1 - Mood Board and Before Photos
Home Makeover Part 2 - Kitchen
Home Makeover Part 3 - Toilet and Bathroom
Home Makeover Part 4 - Living and Dining Room and Recess Area
Home Makeover Part 5 - Bedrooms - See more at: http://vodkarouge.blogspot.sg/2016/03/home-makeover-part-3-toilet-and-bathroom.html#sthash.EZHE9hPa.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment